home.aspx
 
. Resources/Whitepapers/89aa597b-86d1-4d55-92ac-2388d0f97242_201807_Brookings-Metro_Rethinking-Clusters-Initiatives_Syracuse-Drones.pdf
whitepaper
RETHINKING CLUSTER INITIATIVES
Beginning in WWII, major federal investments in radar technology began flowing to the region. A major GE manufacturing facility in Syracuse was the original center of the industry. In 1946, GE moved its electronics research operations into the region, creating a 155-acre research park and expanding into television and radio applications. As federal spending on radar technology grew during the Cold War, the Syracuse University Research Corporation (SRC) was created, and began to attract engineering talent from across the country. In 1951, the Air Force started what is now called Rome Laboratory, which collaborated with both GE and Syracuse University. After the GE facility was sold to Lockheed Martin in 1992, new companies were spun off and continued to branch into new industries. DOWNLOAD